The Room, The Room, The Room is on Fire

Monday night, I woke up in the middle of the night, drenched in sweat. I could hardly breathe as I threw blankets off my bed, and I was practically ripping my clothes off.

Was I sick? No. It dropped below 40 degrees in the city for the first time this season Monday night, so it was the first night that the heat was on in my building. There are two settings for the heat in my apartment building: searing and off. For the past several weeks, I had enjoyed sleeping without a fan blowing on me. In fact, I had gotten used to the peace and quiet of sleeping in a room with virtually no noise. But those days are numbered, because it was about 80 degrees in my bedroom last night. I came into my apartment from the cold and within 30 seconds, I was sweating. I couldn't take off clothes fast enough to avoid sweating.

In this case, I would actually prefer that my landlord do the bare minimum in a situation. New York City code states:
* [During the heating season, October 1 through May 31] Between 10 p.m. and 6 a.m., heat must register at least 55 degrees Fahrenheit when the outside temperature falls below 40 degrees.
55 degrees! Even 70 would be nice right now. I could actually use my quilt. I don't even know why I bother having a quilt on my bed.

And once again, the snooty suburbs think they're better than us. Westchester County requires landlords to heat apartments to 68 degrees all day, year-round. Excuuuuse me. At least the city's policy is somewhat environmentally sound. Plus it keeps our heating costs down. Stick that in your hot water pipe and smoke it.

7 Moments of Idiocy:

Blogger Laurel said...

The best thing about your post is that all New Yorkers can empathize. My radiator sounds like the breathing of a woman giving birth and of course, I have no control over it.

10:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh the joy of teh quiet central heating unit. and home owner... uh.. rentership.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Marjorie said...

it's 68 for Rockland too.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Marjorie: And you'd prefer to align yourself with Rockland County?

12:42 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

Luckily we can turn our heaters on and off in each apartment... I never turn it on unless it's below 20.

1:59 PM  
Blogger pinknest said...

yeah, same situation. i always have to have a window open in the middle of winter! so much for conserving energy.

2:15 PM  
Anonymous Marjorie said...

no...just don't pick on Westchester

8:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home