Turning My World Upside Down

I nearly fell off my treadmill on Sunday morning when I heard these words on CBS Sunday Morning:
"It's amazing how many Republicans call me for support. And then they go, 'You're a Republican right?' And you go, 'Well I'm actually a lifetime Democrat.'"
Do you know who said those words?

It couldn't possibly be the singer/songwriter who sings the outrageously ignorant lyrics "and you'll be sorry you messed with/the U.S. of A/cause we'll put a boot in your ass/it's the American way," could it?

Oh, it could.

Toby Keith said those words. And now, I can finally justify my enjoyment of Honkytonk University to my friends.*

Oh, and Toby: sweet mullet, circa 1993!


*Yes, I, a New York City resident and blogger, just admitted to liking country music. Is that a crime? If so, what is the punishment? Will I be forced to listen to TV on the Radio on repeat while locked in a bar that only serves PBR and whose clientele is exclusively faux-hawked hipsters in ironic t-shirts?

10 Moments of Idiocy:

Blogger Ryan said...

So you're a Dixie Chicks sympathizer?

I'm not sure which is worse.

2:27 PM  
Blogger Beehive Hairdresser said...

Is Toby Keith that guy who married that ugly girl from Jerry Maguire?

3:13 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

No, no, you're thinking of Kenny Chesney.

Come on, not all country singers are the same. Just most of them.

3:22 PM  
Anonymous Karen ;- ) said...

Why do you and your buddy Toby Keith hate freedom?

3:40 PM  
Anonymous rumandpopcorn said...

See? Democrats can threaten to put a "boot in your ass" as well! The midterm elections are locked up!

I thought his appearnce on "Colbert Report" was pretty strange...now I know! And I'll admit, "I Wanna Talk About Me" isn't bad either...

4:01 PM  
Anonymous Rob said...

You speak of being locked in a bar that only serves PBR as if it's a bad thing.

12:35 AM  
Anonymous Josh said...

I despise Toby Keith. In fact, I've considered making my own "FUTK" shirt. It really blew my mind when I read this entry.

12:45 AM  
Blogger threetoedsloth said...

Well, I think when Toby Keith says he's a Democrat, he's referring to a very different species of Democrat, more of a "Dixiecrat." Back in the day, white southerners were almost all Democrats, back when "Democrat" didn't really mean the same thing that it does today. Strom Thurmond and Jesse Helms were Democrats for quite some time. But over the years everyone gradually began to shift over to Republican, and these days there's just a handful left over who are still in the Democratic party but associate themselves more with the old-school definition of what it meant to be a Democrat. And that old-school definition is very similar to that of today's Republican.

10:15 AM  
Blogger Chris said...

That's fair, except Toby Keith is from Oklahoma, which never really embraced the whole "Dixiecrat" concept, and Toby Keith is 45 years old, far removed from the fundamental shifts of the Republicans and Democrats circa-the 1960s.

11:32 AM  
Blogger shutupihateyoumore said...

we do not agree on country music, donnie likes it and sally thinks it sucks, but we do like funny country music stars and democrats. It is good to know that we dems can kick ass and you know what, I might go out and buy us a new Toby Keith album...(but only play it on ear phones, I mean we live in New York)

donnie and sally

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home