My CD Collection at 16: I Make Fun of Myself So You Don't Have To

After Kate took a little trip in the Internet Wayback Machine yesterday, I decided to dig up some of my old web pages on Prodigy.

In my time-travels, I had the misfortune of finding a list of the CDs that I owned, circa junior year of high school. Apparently, I was so proud of this collection at the time that I posted it on my Prodigy web page. The list is so embarassing now that it could be potential blackmail material. Many are relics of my mid-90s angry rock obsession, followed by my mid-to-late-90s angry chick rock obsession, followed by an ex-girlfriend who, well, softened my musical tastes. I'm not proud of this, but I must not be ashamed of my past.

So, rather than make excuses, I'll encapsulate my likely reviews at age 16:

Tidal, Fiona Apple
Oh my God! Greatest CD ever! She's so deep and her lyrics cut straight to the bone! And I'm not just saying that because my girlfriend told me to!

Desireless, Eagle-Eye Cherry
This guy is gonna be HUGE!

Tubthumper, Chumbawumba
Spice, Spice Girls
Ladies and Gentlemen, watch out! The new British invasion has begun!

Fairweather Johnson, Hootie and the Blowfish
Sooo much better than Cracked Rear View! Who said anything about a sophomore slump? I will NEVER get tired of this band!

Galore: The Singles 1987-1997, The Cure
Eh, this CD is all right. Nothing special, though. I don't even remember why I bought it. It was probably on sale at Newbury Comics. And I probably only got it for that "Friday I'm in Love" song.

Yourself or Someone Like You, Matchbox 20
These guys rock hard! They're totally edgy. "Push" really "pushes" the envelope. I heard a radio station banned that song because it was about domestic violence.

Celebrity Skin, Hole
I have so much respect for Courtney Love. She's really cleaned up her act.

Under the Table and Dreaming, Dave Matthews Band
Personally, I celebrate the man's entire catalog. To me, it doesn't get any better than when he sings "Lover Lay Down."

Tragic Kingdom, No Doubt
Gwen Stefani is so angsty and passionate! She's the kind of artist that will never sell-out to the man! Also, SKA RULES!!!

It's funny, because last Thursday night, amongst other bloggers, I mentioned that the first CD I ever bought was Counting Crows' August and Everything After. While others had the shame of Ace of Base or La Bouche, I had a nice, solid selection. But apparently, it all went downhill from there.

9 Moments of Idiocy:

Blogger WelshSoxFan said...

My first CD was Please Hammer Don't Hurt 'Em by the immortal MC Hammer.

I am sad to admit that I'm very ashamed about it

2:18 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I think my favorite comments are about Hootie and the Blowfish. Oh, Darius Rucker, you haunt my dreams.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Laurel said...

is it just me or does posh spice look like she has no torso on the album cover...i've been trying to figure it out since i was 12...

4:19 PM  
Blogger Jaime said...

First of all, I didn't even own a CD at 16. I don't think they were invented yet. I'm old.

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Karen ;- ) said...

I just died a little inside.

4:46 PM  
Blogger Z. Madison said...

I can just imagine you bopping around your room singing "So TELL me whachu want whatchu really really want"...

Jamie - I feel your pain. I got my first CD player freshman year of High School - luckily that was when Grunge debuted.

5:17 PM  
Blogger PJ said...

Oh dear, these trips down memory lane are embarrassing; my first CD was Slave to the Grind by Skid Row.{blushes and retreats to a corner}

10:59 PM  
Blogger Krikri said...

My first CD was Weezer's Blue Album! I am so awesome and indie rock!!!

11:31 AM  
Blogger Big Daddy said...

I got you all beat, I'm so old, my first CD was Michael Jackson's 'Bad'.

4:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home