You're Not on MySpace? You're Dead to Me.

I think we can safely say that three years after its appearance in the form of Friendster (wait, it still exists?), social networking web sites are here to stay.

But for various reasons, some single twenty-somethings living in New York City still refuse to join MySpace. Occasionally, their reasoning has some base in logic, like, "I want to avoid being stalked," or, "I live on another planet where nobody uses the Internet." Then, there are the cop-out reasons like "I don't want to share personal information" (that's what privacy settings are for, idiot), "it's evil, it's owned by Fox" (so is the Fox network, but you can't live without 24), and "I think it's pointless" (so did everyone else before they joined). But for the most part, their reasoning is simply hiding the fact that they think social networking is beneath them.

Oh, so you're too good for MySpace? Fuck you. You're full of crap - you aren't good enough for MySpace. They don't want your pompous ass on it, anyway. You'll probably sign up, do a half-assed job filling out a profile, and never log in again. Or you'll only fill out your first name, age, and gender and use it solely to stalk former high school classmates. You don't want people to know you're on MySpace, because you don't want your friends to misjudge you. After all, rather than having us think you're a fairly well-adjusted individual, we'd much rather you confirm our suspicions that you're a pretentious prick who thinks he's doing the world a favor by not "caving in" to MySpace.

It's 2006. It's not uncool to use a social networking site. And the more you put it off, the more likely you are to get shut out of my life. "Oh, you didn't hear about the party? I posted like three bulletins on MySpace about it. Oh, right... I forgot. You can't get off your fucking high horse. Sucks to be you."

11 Moments of Idiocy:

Anonymous ryan said...

hahaha! I've never seen someone so passionate about myspace. But I will bet you, in five years it will be a forgotten fad, buried in the heap of pet rocks and tickle-me Elmos.

I joined myspace and go on there, then think to myself, "now what?" With blogs and online journals, at least there is entertainment and intellectual value (use that term loosely), but with myspace, it seems like candy. It's fun but after a while, I'm sure it'll get old (just like AIM and instant messaging).

5:20 PM  
Blogger Betty said...

Myspace is so white trash- I hate myspace. I thought it was strickly an ass trolling site. Is that what we are calling social networking these days.

5:49 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Ryan, it'll get old, like AIM? See, that goes the opposite way of saying that MySpace is a fad. AIM has become an integral part of not only youth culture, but even of communication in general. AIM is standard software on many workplace computers these days, my own included. That's not much of a fad.

6:44 PM  
Anonymous maple said...

I think it's kind of sad that you have to rely on your social networking site to invite people to parties instead of, you know, calling them. It's a great supplement (I've used Facebook to send party invitations), but I wouldn't keep someone out of the loop just because they didn't have an account.

MySpace is extremely disorganized and downright ugly. I signed up for an account and deleted it within a day. I have a nice computer and some of the profiles will still freeze my browser. I don't see MySpace as beneath me, but I don't think a profile should be part of my social status. People in my line of work has been fired for piddly little comments on their profiles (even those who have so-called "private" accounts).

Do I really need another reason to sit in front of the computer and waste time, just because you think it's the wave of the future? It's like an online version of high school.

THX 4 TEH ADD!111!!

8:42 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I remember when the ONLY way to invite friends to a party was by phone(land line) or snail mail.

I realize most of you reading this blog HARDLY remember a time before computers and cell phones. IMHO, AIM remains the standard bearer of personal computer communication. I use it daily. As for whether you use MySpace, Spacebook or Live Journal, their longevity will depend on whether a better concept comes along. I don't believe the idea behind them will become passe. You can choose to be in the loop or not.

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Amish said...

Check out my reason for not joining

I'm on facebook and friendster, so its not like I'm hiding from social networking. I just like to have a functional computer. I hate how they (MySpace) have handed web design over to people who don't know anything about it. It's like handing over the keys to a porsche to a 5 year old and saying "Take it for a spin...no..wait, you know what...why don't you just keep it...do whatever you want with it...no one will care"

9:17 AM  
Blogger Laurel said...

myspace is the poor man's blogger and blogger is the poor man's...well, i don't know...but i don't like myspace because it looks like crap...i do like your site though...good work!

10:38 AM  
Blogger threetoedsloth said...

I'm not on Myspace mainly because it seems like a popularity contest, and as the kind of person who probably couldn't get more than two friends even if I paid them by the hour to speak to me, I'm pretty sure Tom would be my only Myspace friend, and everyone else would just laugh and laugh and throw vegetables at me. Now, who'd like an invitation to my pity party??

11:42 AM  
Anonymous ProfessorJoy said...

There's a great article from the NYT on Sunday in the Modern Love section. Since I don't know code or how to embed anything, go to the NYT website and look for "Someone to watch over me (on a google map)." Facebook (for me) is comprised of most of the college buddies and co-workers since leaving my hometown. Friendster has more of my professional friends. Myspace started with the friends from my hometown and has expanded. I try to check up on things once or twice a week. Anything more, for me, would be a bit obscene. I know I'm stalked by an ex-boyfriend; he was hurt by the fact that I left a comment on the page of our mutual friend but failed to leave HIM a comment. Are you KIDDING ME?! You're looking over the pages of my/our FRIENDS trying to find dirt on me or track what I'm doing?! Seriously, grow up and get a life. Another friend was upset because I had more myspace friends. Again, are you kidding me?! Somewhere in between the "get off your high horse" folks and the "why don't you *sniff* leave ME comments" people there must be a happy medium. Let me know if you find it...and then I'll totally add you as a friend, LOL, TTYL, ROTF, BRB, etc.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Darth Kohl said...

I shouldn't have to be embarrassed that I check MySpace as much as my email.

11:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm...what other fads are you as passionate about? Low rise jeans and copri pants?

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home