We All Scream for Ice Cream

It is purely a coincidence that on the hottest day of the year, a Mister Softee truck parks outside our office building to offer us all free ice cream. The options are quickly narrowed, however, when you consider the product that Mister Softee serves. It is not quite ice cream. It is not quite cream, actually. In fact, I think you'd be hard-pressed to find any dairy product in the soft-serve crack that Mister Softee offers. However, there are entire generations of New Yorkers who ate Mister Softee throughout their childhood and are still alive to talk about it.

I opted against soft-serve, and went for the Good Humor frozen treats. But I'm picky. Strawberry Shortcake? More like Strawberry Shortcrap! Chocolate Eclair? How about Chocolate Beware! The newer Oreo bar? More like Ore-NO! The Reese's bar? Well, I'm thinking of a word that rhymes with "Reese's" and starts with an "F".

I go for the sleeper pick. I turn to the black sheep of Good Humor bars for summertime refreshment. I give two thumbs up to the often ignored, often reviled Toasted Almond bar!

Sure, it doesn't have real almonds. And it doesn't even really taste like almonds. In fact, it may make some people gag a little. Even the ice cream man is baffled by my request: "you want a what? ... oh, yeah, we have those."

On this hot day, props to you, Toasted Almond bar... the underdog of the ice cream truck!

3 Moments of Idiocy:

Anonymous ryan said...

I love Mister Softee! As a self-promoted connoisseur of ice cream (Coldstone is not ice cream, it's gummy nastiness mixed with your favorite candy bar folks!), I loved those trucks not because of how great the soft serve is - it's soft serve, for God's sake - but because they're all over the place and so convenient, especially on hot days.

They need to send Mrs. Softee out to California!

7:40 PM  
Blogger The Omnipotent Q said...

I was raised on Mister Softee. Yes, I did live to tell the tale.
And I will hear that blasted music from those trucks in my head until the day I die.

10:33 PM  
Blogger Z. Madison said...

toasted almond is my absolute fav.

perhaps i'll pick one up this weekend from the truck that stalks my hood with that incessant tune.

12:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home