Thanks for Nothing

As someone who works in media planning, I get my ass kissed by every media rep on the face of the earth. I eat free lunches until I explode. I fill my calendar with parties and bar nights and baseball games until I have no time for a social life. I cover my desk with tchotchkes.

But there's one "gift" that I've been getting more and more often from media reps:

The $5 Starbucks Card

Don't get me wrong. I love Starbucks. But the $5 Starbucks Card is quite possibly the most useless free perk on the face of the earth.

My favorite summer drink at Starbucks, a tall blackberry green tea frappuccino, costs about $4 with tax. So every time I use one of these cards, I have $1 left on them. What can you get for $1 at Starbucks? Nothing, of course. This leftover card sits in my wallet with $1 on it... until I get my next $5 Starbucks Card.

When I get my next card, I finish off the old card, then put the remainder on the new card. So the process repeats, only now, I have a new leftover card with $2 sitting in my wallet. On the next card, and it'll have $3 left on it. Get another card, and it'll have $4 left on it. I have been back in New York for roughly three months, and I'm already midway through my second Starbucks Card cycle.

There has to be a better way. Maybe I'll just give them one card to run to Starbucks and refill after they meet with me. Then again, knowing that media reps are willing to bend over backwards for their clients, I should ask them to deliver Starbucks directly to me at my office. Now that's a way to win my business!

9 Moments of Idiocy:

Blogger Dave Amirault said...

Waah waah waah I get free stuff and somehow find a way to complain about it. Waah waah, I've got a dollar left on my double latte foam skim milk splenda sweetened fairy beverage... Waah.

Ha.

12:48 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Go back to loitering on Pearl Street, you damn dirty hippie.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Annie said...

Agreed. I think even the $15 ones are annoying! I have two floating around somewhere, but I can never remember if I've used them and I fear the rejection of the barista. What if she's had a long day and chooses to make me an example by snipping my gift card in half with the mini scissors she keeps in her green apron? Nope. It's too much. I won't even try.

1:59 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Send 'em my way. I love free shit.

5:48 PM  
Anonymous PJ said...

What is it with Starbucks baristas anyway? During my last trip to the States, there wasn't a single time when I ordered coffee that I wasn't asked to repeat myself. I speak Australian English and was only asking for a tall latte. How hard is that?

I only had difficulties in Starbuks, no where else...

10:26 PM  
Blogger A Concerned Fan said...

I like this idea. I'm going to give people cards valued at 3.50, just so they have to use multiple ones to get a drink and then get pissed off about it. Thanks!

8:40 AM  
Anonymous Marjorie said...

At least it's not a water bottle, that is a very useful tchotchke.

11:40 AM  
Blogger Audrey. said...

Blackberry green tea frap = awesome. It's like ice cream.

I sort of wish they wouldn't equate it with coffee by putting it in the frappaccino category. It's weird. Admit it's a shake, or ice cream, and move on.

7:49 PM  
Blogger Chris said...

Yeah, it really is just a glorified milkshake. In fact, I'd like to propose referring to it as a "milkshake" every time anyone orders it from now on. Just do it en masse until Starbucks realizes it's not a "frappuccino."

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home