Rip My Heart Out, Emo Girl

I guess you could say that I'm an emo kid. But not one of those obnoxious ones who cuts himself and says "woe is me" in more modern terms. Given my taste in music, it would be hard to argue otherwise.

[Side note: Do you know how excited I am about Dashboard Confessional's new album that comes out next week? I cannot contain myself. It should be noted that every emo guy has a huge man-crush on Chris Carrabba.]

I'm going to see Taking Back Sunday tonight at the Nassau Coliseum. I am willing to travel to Long Island to see a concert at which I could quite possibly be the oldest person in attendance. I will be kindly reminding my friend who is accompanying me that "taking in the scenery" at this show is not the best idea. You can look, but it's best not to touch. There is roughly a 99.8% chance that they're underaged.

How do I know this? Because I have the musical tastes of a 16 year-old girl. This is a proven fact, not a theory. Well, it was just a theory, until last spring.
CHRIS, EX-GIRLFRIEND, and her female 16 YEAR-OLD COUSIN are in the ex-girlfriend's car. CHRIS is driving, with EX-GIRLFRIEND in passenger seat and 16 YEAR-OLD COUSIN in the backseat. CHRIS turns on the now-defunct K-Rock. "Work" by Jimmy Eat World comes on.

CHRIS: Ooh ooh! I love this song!
16 YEAR-OLD COUSIN: Oh my God! Me too! Chris, you have really good taste in music!
And scene!

She's 18 now, so you might argue that I have the musical tastes of an 18 year-old girl. Doubtful, as she has probably grown out of her emo phase... and at 24, I still have not.

3 Moments of Idiocy:

Blogger WelshSoxFan said...

Work actually is a decent song, but the rest of the album is kind of crap and they are AWFUL live. Then again, I may have just been mad that they closed the bar.

3:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't worry Chris... you're not the only emo loving grown-up. With a CD collection that includes Jimmy Eat World, Something Corporate/Jack's Mannequin, Straylight Run, The Working Title & More, I'm emo without the wrist scars. Although it does remind me of a great joke:

I wish my lawn was emo... so it would cut itself.

1:52 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

Work is totally a good song, and I know a bunch of 24+ year old males who also like emo-y stuff. Then again, you're talking to a girl who saw Conor Oberst in concert so I may not be the best person to offer a counterpoint on this.

2:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home