It's Summer Friday Season!
I don't really know what to do with myself on these Summer Fridays, as the last summer that I was in New York was in 2004 - when I saved all of these days until August to escape the city during the Republican Convention. Here are some more creative ideas for uses of these days. Why waste Summer Fridays at the beaches or down the shore? After all, not working on a day when everyone else is can present some great opportunities right here in the city.
- Dress up in a suit and pretend you're an I-banker Downtown. Just tool around the Financial District all day, hopping from Starbucks to lunch spot to bar. Discuss your plans to go to catch the Jitney to the Hamptons later in the day. Just don't get too caught up in the act. You'll only disappoint yourself when you return to your tiny 3-bedroom apartment with no A/C.
- Go to 30 Rock to see the Summer Concert Series on the Today Show. So what if you have to put up with Nelly Furtado or Natasha Bedingfield? You can pick up a tourist and "show her around" for the rest of the day. A warning, though... the following artists will attract a crowd with an average age twice yours: Phil Collins, Earth Wind & Fire, KC & the Sunshine Band, and Chicago.
- Start drinking early. Really, really early. Let Thirsty Thursday become a marathon drinking session that ends in a Friday afternoon nap. You'll still have two full days to recover, and you won't look crazy when you have to drink off a hangover during happy hour on Friday.
- Invite a booty call over. Skyrockets in flight! Afternoon delight! Why wait until 2am to be too drunk to remember the call? Alternately, hire a hooker. And if you're gay, just use Craigslist.
- Explore an area of New York that you've never visited. Now that you have all the daylight hours free, there are so many places you may have missed out on. The plains of Canarsie! The waters of Hunts Point! The rolling hills of Jamaica! Opportunity abounds!
- Sit in Union Square all day. Sure, this is something you could do on a weekend, but you wouldn't look like a total weirdo for it when everyone else has the day off, too. Extra points for not shaving, dressing way down, and/or reading a book to yourself out loud. To cool off, go into Virgin Megastore, put on the headphones, and sing and dance along to the Top 50 CDs. Plus, on a sunny day, you'll get just as good a tan as you would at the beach!
Six ideas, six Summer Fridays. I plan on knocking off the early drinking tomorrow. And the first World Cup match is as good excuse as any to get wasted at 11am.