The Food Coma

I think everyone has, at some point in time, experience a food coma. It is most commonly encountered after Thanksgiving dinner, when one is sitting comatose on the couch watching football, lacking even the energy to get up to say goodbye to family members.

I work in media. I know food comas all too well.

For those not familar with media, in my field, sales reps from magazines, newspapers, television networks, out-of-home companies, and anyone else who thinks they have a snowball's chance in hell of getting on my client's media plan, kiss our asses by taking us out for lunch.

You don't go get a sandwich. Not even a Carnegie Deli sandwich (pictured above). You go for a full-blown lunch at a real restaurant. Namely, places I could never afford to dine at on my own. Included on that list, in recent weeks, are Nobu, Michael's, and BLT Steak.

I'm not bragging. In fact, I would gladly let you pretend to be me so I don't have to go on so many, as long as you bring me back a doggie bag. The 10 pounds that I've gained have come entirely from lunches and beer (because when reps don't take you out for lunch, they take you out for drinks. I blame my rep from Newsweek for my awful hangover on Friday).

So, this afternoon, I am in the midst of a food coma. I had the onion soup and red snapper at Bar Americain today, when the sales rep pressured me into dessert. I asked for "the lightest thing on the dessert menu." The waitress laughed. This is a Bobby Flay restaurant, after all. And so, even after two cups of post-lunch coffee, I am still flatlining. I am listless. I am useless. I will never get this brief done.

Perhaps this is where the stereotype of an overworked advertising agency employee comes from: we have to work until 8 or 9pm every night, because we don't do shit between 2 and 5pm.

Now, if you don't mind, I must go and nap through a meeting.

1 Moments of Idiocy:

Blogger Audrey. said...

Are you familiar with the phenomenon of the "food baby" whereas you feel like you are incubating a mass large enough to transform in a human because you have eaten so much?

I find it especially true with very large burritos - it feels as if the entire burrito has reassembled itself inside your stomache.

And I'll take your media lunches - I am but a lowly analyst and thus hidden from all clients. But I get to wear jeans to work.

2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home