Relax, this is only temporary

I'm taking an involuntary vow of sobriety for the next "two to three weeks."

This is the sheet of paper that the State of New York gives you when you apply for a driver's license. You're forced to surrender your real, out-of-state, plastic ID card, and you're given this little piece of paper... with no photo on it, and no means of identifying the carrier of this "interim license." I somehow doubt that most drinking establishments would accept this as "proper ID."

Questions:
- Lushes like me: has anyone had problems getting into clubs or bars that card with this "interim license?"

- Bouncers and bartenders: how do you handle patrons with this piece of paper? Do you want another form of ID with it? What if I have no other form of photo ID?

What I can't figure out is how New York can be so far behind the times. Even in Vermont, I got my license on-site within minutes after applying. And it wasn't a ghetto old-school New Jersey-style laminated ID, either. It was a fully digitized, secure ID. Even in Rhode Island, who mails you your ID weeks later much like New York, you at least get a photo on your temporary license.

Of course, I'm now officially a resident of the same state that can't decide on a system to replace lever-action voting booths.

4 Moments of Idiocy:

Blogger Land of the Bat said...

you're supposed to lie and tell them you lost your out of state ID.

3:47 PM  
Anonymous Jo said...

I had the same complaint back in August when I moved in from Illinois. It is hard to believe NY, of all states, is so backwards about the whole thing. And it really did take nearly two weeks to arrive by mail. Ughhh.

I didn't get carded in the time that I had no ID, but was inconvenienced a zillion other times as I ran around town doing other "new to town" things, especially considering I was also starting grad school and needed ID for a bunch of things there.

SO dumb.

By the way, saw your complaint on Gothamist :) That's how I got here.

4:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have a passport? That's what I use exclusively -- haven't had a state-issued ID for like 6 years.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Marjorie said...

When I turned 21, I was away at school in central New York. NYS wouldn't mail my new ID until my b-day and they mailed it to my parents address, so I was incovenienced for a couple weeks. Actually tried to buy beer in a supermarket with the paper one and my under 21 (which was no longer valid since I was now over 21). They shot me down even though I used my fake there. Ended up going to another place where they didn't card me.

But annoymous has a good point use your Passport, one of my friends does that since she lost her liscense.

And yes I'm behind at reading your blog.

9:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home